Wednesday, May 29, 2013

What's a life "well-lived"?

Over the past few days, I've been mulling over the question What's a life "well lived"?

I know of a lot of people who in their sunset year's look back at their own lives, and say with pride and satisfaction that It was a life "well lived"; and then there are so many who look back at their own lives with remorse and an unexplainable dissatisfaction that They barely lived life. If only they got another chance to do things differently, then ....

Those who say that  It was a life "well lived" broadly come into 3 types:

Type 1 : The "Me-Centric" Type
* I lived life on my own terms
* I lived to my full potential
* I lived every single day to the fullest
* I fulfilled all my dreams and secret desires
* I did what I was born to do
* I lived up to my own expectations
Basically their pride, joy and satisfaction comes from what they really want to do in life. Primarily driven by their own dreams, desires, priorities, interests, expectations and choices. Their focus in really about what I want to do

Type 2 : The "Other-Centric" Type
* I lived my life so that I made a positive difference in the lives of others
* I lived to make my near and dear one's happy
* I helped / supported others realize their dreams
* I tried to live up to the expectations of others (family, friends, etc.)
* I lived almost "selflessly" - giving the most I could 
Basically their pride, joy and satisfaction comes from living life in terms of what others expect from them. Primarily driven by others dreams, desires, priorities, interests, expectations and choices. Their focus in really about what others want them to do; and this genuinely makes them happy

Type 3 : The "Balanced" Type
* I strived to maintain a balance between my expectations of myself and others expectations of me
* I worked to be happy myself; and also make others happy (or rather not make them unhappy) to the best of my ability
* I lived every day to the fullest; and enabled others to do the same - Simply by being positive and optimistic about life and the future
* I fulfilled my own dreams; And along the way also helped loved one's achieve their dreams (Some give and take, but all worked out in the end)
Basically their pride, joy and satisfaction comes from living life by maintaining a balance of what they expect of themselves and what others expect from them. They somehow master the art of this fine balance.
 
There's no RIGHT or WRONG here
It's just a personal CHOICE

At the end of life, you should be able to look back at your life and say with pride and satisfaction that It was a life "well lived"
So pause of reflect.. 
What can you do today?
What should you do today?
And more importantly, which Type do you think you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment