Saturday, October 12, 2013

How can you learn wisdom? [UBC Post 12]


I've been thinking about a question for the past few days - "Can you learn wisdom?"

But firstly, What is WISDOM?

Google threw up the following definitions:
  1. The quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment; the quality of being wise.
  2. The soundness of an action or decision with regard to the application of such experience, knowledge, and good judgment
Hmm.. So again "Can you learn wisdom?"

I found my answer in a profound quote
By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” – Confucius

As I mulled deeper, I could not help but appreciate the complete wisdom in these words

ONE CAN LEARN WISDOM BY REFLECTION
Reflection of your words, your thoughts, your deeds, your behavior, your actions, your reactions, your decisions, your circumstances, your reality, your past, your present, your health, your wealth, your relationships, your choices, your habits, your personality, your emotions, your growth....
And also reflection of others words, others thoughts, others deeds, others behavior, others actions, others reactions, others decisions, others circumstances, others reality, others past, others present, others health, others wealth, others relationships, others choices, others habits, others personality, others emotions, others growth....

ONE CAN LEARN WISDOM BY IMITATION
Imitation of the best in yourself and the best in others.. Imitate the best in terms curiosity of a child, love in a mother, creativity of the creators, humility of the rich and successful, nobility of the noble, passion of an artist (writer, painter, sculptor, etc etc), agility and flexibility of a child, sportsmanship of a player...

ONE CAN LEARN WISDOM BY EXPERIENCE
Experience of each moment of life. Be aware.. Be present.. Be accepting.. Breathe.. Live

The reality of today is
Very few of us invest in reflection ; hence it takes longer to become "wise"
Few of us imitate ; but end up imitating the wrong things ; hence we end up with some "wisdom" and some "foolishness"
All of us experience somewhat through the journey of life ; and hence it takes a lifetime for the "wisdom" to dawn (Though the wisdom teeth come much sooner ;)
So are you WISE? Leave a comment to let me know..


I am also linking this post to the October’s NaBloPoMo
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Liked this post and my writings? Sign-up for Blog Updates via Mail. Enter your mail address in the box to the right (Below the "About Me" Section)

You can also hop over to my other blog "Nischala's Space, Thoughts and Expressions" to read about my views on Social Media, Marketing and Leadership.

For an inspirational interview series I did on my blog with global "stars", zoom to Nischala's Blog-o-Rendezvous

I regularly write for other blogs of global repute. For a round-up of my Guest Posts, click here

I've re-discovered my love for poetry (Am still a budding / amateur poet). You can get a taste of my poetry at Nischala's Blog-o-Poetry

21 comments:

  1. I have been a "ponderer" all of my life and I very often imitated successful people as my viewpoint was "why reinvent the wheel". But mostly, I believe that I always did what I wanted. I "jumped in with both feet" and in doing so, I experienced a lot and had great success and had great failures and everything in the middle ....and in all of that, I've learned.

    I've been told all of my life, even as a child, that I was wise beyond my years.

    Whatever wisdom I may have attained, I use it to help others and I believe that there is still more that can be attained.

    Great post!

    Kathy
    kathyhadleylifecoach.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy - Tx for stopping by and your comment. Its wonderful that you learned from all your experiences.. Life is indeed the best teacher! From your posts, I'd fully agree that you are loaded with wisdom :). And admire your humility in saying that you are using your wisdom to help others. Best wishes. Nischala

      Delete
  2. I pray for my children to gain wisdom every day. I myself need wisdom in every aspect of life. I try not to learn it the hard way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - I think we all need wisdom.. But many a time we learn it the hard way. Take Care and Good luck. Nischala

      Delete
  3. At times one lives a whole life and yet the person has not 'acquired' wisdom. and very few really get close to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love this quote by Confucius. It is absolutely true. I hate when I have to learn something through experience because it usually involves pain, but I learn these lessons the best. They seem to stick more for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree.. When you experience, the lesson is well learned, and stays for life

      Delete
  5. Confucius was a wise guy. LOL Not in the sense of a smart alec but a truly wise man. The easiest and truly most efficient is thru contemplation. In my mind, that contemplation makes life utterly fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dina - I agree fully that he was WISE! contemplation surely does make life more fascination, rewarding and fulfilling. Tx for stopping by

      Delete
  6. i believe you may enjoy reading my novel because of you article. The novel in a unique manner helps readers to comprehend meanings of wise sayings.

    As a Lily Among Thorns - A Story of King Solomon, the Queen of Sheba, and the Goddess of Wisdom by Rudy U Martinka.

    Available as an eBook for $2.99.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I will be sure ti check out the book

      Delete
  7. Most of my life has been about learning by experiencing and it is only nowadays that I have started learning by reflecting. Lovely post for having highlighted the different ways of acquiring wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jairam. most if us tend to learn from experience, and mostly our own experiences. Great to see that you are now focusing on learning by reflecting! You're wise :)

      Delete
  8. It seems like a person goes through a lot of trial and error to learn. It also takes a fair amount of reflection as well. Interesting post. Wisdom is gained through the experience of living life. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wise thought Nischala...reflection, I believe is above the rest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sugandha - I agree.. If only we paused and reflected.. ! Nischala

      Delete
  10. How have I been wise? Or at least attempted towards it? I have always lowered my expectations from things. Somehow everything I ventured into I first told myself this might go wrong and with that I could see a lot of sides to one situation :-)

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richa - Your approach is a combination of reflection from experience.. So you are wise :).. keep the wisdom going.. Nischala

      Delete