Sunday, October 13, 2013

Life without TV [UBC Post 13]

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.’ ~Groucho Marx
 
Can you imagine your life without TV
If you said NO, then you are not alone.. You are part of the vast majority
If you said MAYBE, then good. There is hope
If you said YES, then great! You are part of the wise minority

Interestingly, a lot of people I know are saying "NO" to TV.. Loud and clear
I know of people who have decided not to have a TV at home
I know of people who don't watch TV at home
I know of people who watch TV for only 30 mins a day (just for the news)
And then of course, the vast majority are TV addicts.. All they do is watch TV from dawn to dusk and feel happy about it!

Hmm.. As I mulled over this, I also recognized that the people who did not watch TV were actually leading more well-rounded, balanced and fulfilling lives by doing things they love; pursuing their hobbies; investing in their own learning, growth and development; or doing things they are passionate about..

Several good reasons to NOT WATCH TV.. So I decided to put myself on a self imposed exile from TV watching for a few days.. Initially, I did not like the feeling.. There was an emptiness, a void.. But then I decided to see where it would take me... And here's what I discovered.

(1) I had "free" time
Yes! Most of us crib that 24 hours a day is just not enough to do what we have to do.. But we still find time to watch the TV for several hours. Do you really have to watch TV for so many hours in a day? Guess not!
The thing about watching TV is that its hard to put an end to it because there are so many channels, so many interesting programs and so many things that keep you engaged that its hard to say "Enough of TV".
Ask yourself what you are really gaining by all the TV watching? - Happiness? Knowledge? Exposure? Killing Time? ... Whatever it is! Do remember that there can be other ways to get what you want. And more importantly, you can "time-box" TV time and still gain what you want
Take-away: Saying NO to TV or TIME-BOXING TV time will free up a lot of time in your day.. in your life - This is a HUGE BONUS if you can put good use for your time

(2) I was more in control of my life
The thing about TV is that it greatly influences your thoughts and emotions. And the reality is that your thoughts and emotions determine your reactions and responses, which determines how your life turns out!
So instead of letting your life be influenced / governed / controlled by the TV, How would it be if you were more in control of your time, your thoughts, your emotions, your reactions, your responses, your life.. Great I guess!
Take-away: Saying NO to TV or making conscious choices on what you will watch on TV makes you in better control of your time, life, choices and finances too (You don't buy things simply because you saw them on the TV or there was an unmissable deal. You buy because you "need" it)

(3) I was able to pursue other hobbies, interest, passions
There are a lot of things which I've been wanting to do for ages, but somehow never go around to doing it. For e.g.: Reading a book, Organizing paperwork, etc. And I actually felt good after doing some of these things (Better than what I feel if I watch TV!)
Take-away: "Time-Boxing" TV time gives you time to do things you are passionate about, which you've been wanting to do for ages .... and they actually can make you happy :)

 Personally, I think that if there is a "No TV Day" one day a week OR one day a month, life and the world will probably be a much better place!

What's your view? Leave a comment to let me know


I am also linking this post to the October’s NaBloPoMo
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Liked this post and my writings? Sign-up for Blog Updates via Mail. Enter your mail address in the box to the right (Below the "About Me" Section)

You can also hop over to my other blog "Nischala's Space, Thoughts and Expressions" to read about my views on Social Media, Marketing and Leadership.

For an inspirational interview series I did on my blog with global "stars", zoom to Nischala's Blog-o-Rendezvous

I regularly write for other blogs of global repute. For a round-up of my Guest Posts, click here

I've re-discovered my love for poetry (Am still a budding / amateur poet). You can get a taste of my poetry at Nischala's Blog-o-Poetry 

28 comments:

  1. Both me and my wife are on a reasonably TV hiatus especially for the last two years since my lil daughter was born, and both of us seem to enjoy it. What happens nowadays is that we really enjoy whatever little TV we watch and yes, like you say it gives both of us a lot of time to spend with what we really love doing as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear Jairam. Becoming a parent changes just about everything!

      Delete
  2. I give myself special times to watch TV but use my computer so I can monitor how much I actually watch. There used to be a time when we'd leave it on 24/7 and rarely watched it. Now that kids are grown and I make my own choices, I find it great to listen to music and work on my mosaics or other crafty fun things instead of watching TV. Great post! Cindy, Visiting from the Ultimate Blog Challenge on FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy - Monitoring is so important, and great idea that you do! As long as you are aware of your TV viewing habits, make conscious choices and are willing to face consequence, its OK i guess. But one can't be a TV addict and crib that there's no time. Tx for stopping by and your comment

      Delete
  3. I have been on TV hiatus before and was amazed that the kids and I survived it. We found we liked to play games and read too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy - You re-discover yourself when you say bye to the idiot-box :)

      Delete
  4. I watch very little TV, but there are a few shows that I truly enjoy and will watch them on Netflix of Hulu+ when I get the chance - that way I'm not tied to sitting down at a particular time. I find very little on TV worth watching anymore, so it's not much of a sacrifice. One interesting thing I've noticed is that people will say they don't watch TV and wear that as a badge of honor, but when questioned I discover they watch shows on their computer or iPad which is the same thing - just watching through a different lens.

    Interesting post! Now back to my reading :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evelyn - I agree with you.. It is not about TV.. but controlling how much time you watch. if your TV time is getting substituted with FB time / twitter time without adding any value to your life / you learning, that's no good either. Thanks for stopping by. Nischala

      Delete
  5. i totally agree. your post has made me think about it since i am glued to TV so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amar - Glad it made you think.. Just go on the exile.. you will enjoy. Tx for stopping by. Nischala

      Delete
  6. Hi Nischala, I'm visiting you from UBC. Personally I don't watch TV. Especially reality shows or news. They are both depressing and embarrassing. I do watch a movie here or there or a whole series of a TV show, but really, life is much more comfortable without TV for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica - Tx for stopping by. I am so glad to hear that your life is better without TV.. I wish more people said and understood that .. Tx for stopping by. Nischala

      Delete
  7. Nischala i come in the catagory of the people who watch tv for good 5 hours, but if you will ask me, I dont know what I saw. TV is just a mean to fill the silence in my house. I watch as and when I like, I can proudly say that I m not a slave to the TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sugandha - As long as you are aware & OK with it.. all's well.. Nischala

      Delete
  8. As soon as my son goes to school the TV goes off and doesn't come on again until he comes home. I occasionally watch the news (too depressing!) and I have about 5 regular programs I like to watch but really I can take it or leave it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear Ann. As long as we control and moderate the TV habit, that is the best gift we can give to ourselves. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  9. I am not an TV addict, I watch it for just a little time and the saved is used for other activites like reading and writing, cleaning up my room :P...

    Although if a good documentary or a very good film is on, then I do watch TV...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. great to hear that shilpa.. TV is probably required, but in limits.. As long as you make a conscious choice, I think you're good.. Nischala

      Delete
  11. Nischala thank you! For writing this and supporting a lot of things I keep telling people around me. I do not watch TV and I firmly believe that it is one thing that takes a lot of our time. Especially once you have kids then spending time with them, reading out things for them should be a better way to spend time...

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richa - Thank you for your kind words and for commenting on every post of mine. Glad that you agree with me, and believe in it! There are better ways to spend time than watching TV.. The thing is you should have the personal experience of how wonderfully liberating it is! I've realized that there's no point in telling anyone.. Some people will stare at you like you're bonkers if you even suggest it to them.. So to each his / her own! Kids / no kids - You can do so much more if you curtail TV time.. Once again, Thank you for stopping by.. Nischala

      Delete
  12. Hey Nischala, good to see that you are doing UBC this month. I did it in August and it did my blog so much good. Sigh!
    Well, about the topic. Been there, done that. Long, long time ago [a few years], I would come back from office and watch TV. After few hours, I would still feel the emptiness of not accomplishing anything. I realized what a waste TV viewing was. It does not make you feel productive because you are not 'doing' anything. That is when I weaned myself from it. I would still watch it once in a while but in the last 3 years, I have completely gone off TV [our whole family]. My husband catches up on whatever he wants to watch on YouTube once in a while, but I never do that. Because of this, our son is also oblivious of all sorts of cartoons. It is only now, we are slowly introducing animated movies. Phew! I can go on and on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Reema - Thanks for letting me know.. I stopped by your blog and have found some awesome posts in the UBC. Let me read in detail ::)..UBC does good in more ways than one.. Wonderful to hear that you / your family has said NO to TV. You need everyone to be aligned.. else, its just not possible. People stay TV addicts for a lifetime and wonder where the life went.. Better late than never.. Tx for stopping by and leaving a comment. appreciate it. Nischala

      Delete
    2. Ha ha true. You start observing more because you have to do a post every day. I was planning to take it up because it was a lovely experience but I have too many books to review at the moment. One of the blogs always gets neglected. Sigh!

      Delete
    3. Yeah! Mommies need to get the priorities right. There's only so much time, right? And you read so much.. Wow!

      Delete
  13. I agree!! Except for a few select shows and TV series, I don't watch much...
    It frees up our time and mind!
    Nicely written Nischala.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said "It frees up our time and mind!". Tx for stopping by. Nischala

      Delete
  14. Earlier I use to watch certain programmes. But T.V. is very addictive and even adults are not spared. Slowly I weaned myself off the ' Time-pass Box' and am not missing much.

    ReplyDelete