Friday, October 18, 2013

Surgery... Recovery.... and Life As Usual

A few weeks back I underwent a major medical surgery (planned). And no, I'm not going to share the gory details of my surgery in this post. But will talk about what I learned from the experience. Going into surgery required significant amount of planning, support from dear ones, physical / mental and emotional strength and a positive attitude... Thankfully, all went well.. and I'm back to life as usual..

There is something about being wheeled into an operation theater which made me reflective and introspective. Simple reason being that every surgical procedure does come with an inherent element of risk (however big or small), and so you can't help but wonder just "What if things go horribly wrong..?". It is in those moments that you truly value life, all that you have and get phenomenal clarity of perspective about yourself and life..

In this blog, sharing some random thoughts, observations and lessons from this personal experience:

(*) Take the time, initiative and interest to truly know understand the problem, potential causes, possible options for treatment and the recommended solution & Why? - It is important to comprehend this

(*) While knowledge is power, I've experienced up close and personal what an overdose of information can do. Especially, if you're go-to resource is Dr. Google, then you can find so much of negative information / case studies / tales of things gone wrong. All this reading can actually make you think negative, and does more harm than good to your state of mind. So read enough to know what is exactly happening to your body and stop it at that. Of course, you should ask questions to your treating doctor, but put a stop somewhere. Recognize and appreciate that you don't need to know every single thing that there is to know. And its better that way!

(*) It is always recommended and advisable to get a second / third medical opinion before one goes in for a surgery. A validation always always helps. If nothing else, you know you're making the right decision.

(*) After a point, trust your doctor. You need to have full faith in your doctor's words.

(*) When in doubt about what you should do / If you need to make a tough decision look the doctor in the eye and ask "What would you do if you were in my place?". More often than not, you get an honest response which includes the medical and non-medical parameters which need to be considered in decision making

(*) Be positive in thoughts just before the surgery. This is absolutely essential. It plays such a critical role in how things will eventually work out

(*) While we pray, wish and hope for the very best, just do make sure you say what's really important to those who matter in your life. I know of many people who just did not get another chance once they went into the Operation Theater.. So, no harm in saying "I Love You" or "Donate my body" or "Be Good" or "Sorry"

(*)  At all points (before during and after the surgery), follow your doctor's advice. Take the required medication without fail, and follow specific Do's / Don'ts.

(*) For a speedy recovery, the following are absolutely essential - Good healthy food (as recommended by the doctor), sleep, loved ones around, a positive frame of mind, a self-imposed time-frame (Many times its possible to go easy on yourself for way beyond what's medically recommended, if you have the option) and a larger purpose to work on - This is so important to get you on your feet

(*) There is something about enduring physical pain which changes you forever. You have to bear the pain and live it to know what it is like. And sometimes, you wish that even your enemy does not have to endure such excruciating pain! But the thing about pain is that it is temporary, and passes through. Nothing really lasts forever, right?

(*) Going through a surgery makes you realize how much / less about your own body you know and are aware of. It also makes you realize how much you take for granted

(*) Ask for help. Its OK to ask as you may not be in a position to do anything

(*) Go easy on expectations from yourself. This is not the time to aim for the stars. Just focus on getting well

(*) Last but not least, HEALTH is WEALTH. So if you can invest in improving your health today, that is probably the BEST INVESTMENT you can make on yourself!

Stay Healthy! Stay Good...


I am linking this post to the October’s Ultimate Blogging Challenge and NaBloPoMo
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Liked this post and my writings? Sign-up for Blog Updates via Mail. Enter your mail address in the box to the right (Below the "About Me" Section)

You can also hop over to my other blog "Nischala's Space, Thoughts and Expressions" to read about my views on Social Media, Marketing and Leadership.

For an inspirational interview series I did on my blog with global "stars", zoom to Nischala's Blog-o-Rendezvous

I regularly write for other blogs of global repute. For a round-up of my Guest Posts, click here

I've re-discovered my love for poetry (Am still a budding / amateur poet). You can get a taste of my poetry at Nischala's Blog-o-Poetry

18 comments:

  1. Awesome post. Like you say all kinds of surgery is fraught with its own complications and all the pointers that you have provided are extremely pragmatic, practical and easy to follow by people of all ages. Loved the part where you say that saying all those things that you have postponed saying also makes sense.

    Very thoughtful post. Thanks for putting this up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jairam. A lot (read as blood, sweat et al) has gone into writing this post, so your comment means a lot. And may I ask you how it is that you manage to read and comment on every single post. Everywhere I go, I see you've left your mark. Tx for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend. Nischala

      Delete
    2. @Nischala, I guess I have some kind of an OCD of commenting on all the posts that I like. And based on the length of my comment you can easily figure out how much I liked the post or not.

      Reading blogs, commenting on them, and writing my own blog posts has kind of become a manic obsession with me nowadays I guess

      Delete
    3. Jairam - It does get obsessive right? I've been there.. But now, I time-box it.. Else I don't know where my time went.. :(... Anyways.. Good luck on your blogging journey. Its a lot more fun with the interactions, comments and many blogging friends :).. Thanks again. I truly appreciate your feedback. Nischala

      Delete
  2. I love your phrase Dr. Google. Seriously, so many people will just go to google and type in their problem and then think that they are smarter than the doctors. Sometimes the more information you have the more mind games it can play in your head.

    I agree that health is wealth. Take care and I am praying for your recuperation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne - I agree . While Google does provide information for free, that is no match for a medical opinion. And hence after a point you should put a stop! Thanks so much for your wishes and for stopping by. Nischala

      Delete
  3. Good post! You should trust your doctor, if you don't, find a new one right away. Also, go over the pro's and con's of having the procedure versus not having the procedure. What can I expect to happen? Is there any natural remedy that might help? Having surgery is very scary, and you offer great advice. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tami - Tx for stopping by. I agree with you. Trusting your doctor is so so so important! And your points are spot on. If you can avoid a surgery, nothing like it. But left with no option, then you have to cross your fingers and go in for it. Nischala

      Delete
  4. Ah hello! I agree, it is very important to trust your doctor (even though I avoid seeing mine at all costs) I hate going to the doctor's full stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know of too many people who like visiting doctors or hospitals. But if you should, then trust the doc... right?

      Delete
  5. Some really pertinent and must-follow pointers! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank god you are good...and I hope healthier too.
    Frankly, I couldnt read beyond a point. I know someone who didnt come back to us after her surgery, and her last words were "I love you all"...it will stay with us forever. Your sentence made me emotional. I'll go back and finish reading now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sugandha - I am fine now. Thanks for your thoughtful wishes. I know what you mean. Its so hard to lose loved ones.. But sometimes complications in surgery arise which you can never even imagine (sometimes even doctors can't envision these).. I know so many people whose life changed after a surgery, when the element of "perceived risk" was supposedly very small.. But then somethings no one can predict, right? Take care! Nischala

      Delete
  7. I look for advice from Dr. Google entirely too much. I hope you are healing well and are now on the mend. Surgery is always scary and so much better when it is finally over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yas Kathy, am better now. Thanks for your kind words. I too look for advice from Dr. Google, but after a point I stop.. Lesson learned the hard way! Nischala

      Delete
  8. Firstly stay safe and healthy woman, we need you to be fit for many UBCs to come :) and whatever you have written I vicariously followed when dad was diagnosed with prostrate enlargement. So much so I went a little mad during that time. Well such incidents also tell us to be more proactive about our health, world has become far too centered on its evil twin wealth. Just my way of seeing life...

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richa - Thanks for your kind words. Am fine now & hopefully will do more UBC's :) Richa - I understand what you're saying. Being unwell yourself is so different from seeing loved one's (parents / children) go through any health issues.. More than anything, you just realize how helpless you are in the larger scheme things! "Well such incidents also tell us to be more proactive about our health, world has become far too centered on its evil twin wealth." That is so true and profound. Thanks again for stopping by. Nischala

      Delete