Thursday, October 24, 2013

That FaceBook "LIKE"

I Like, I Like, I Like
I Like X's photo
I Like Y's status
I Like Z's comment
I Like this page and that
I Like this ad and that
I Like this, that and more
I Like, I Like, I Like

I Like, I Like, I Like
I Like not because "I really Like"
I Like because its cool to Like
I Like because it makes me feel alive
I Like because I have nothing else to do
I Like because it makes my presence felt
I Like because I really like it
I Like because I want to please
I Like because I am present
I Like because..... everyone Likes

I wonder why people "Like" everything that "everyone" uploads on FaceBook.. Its almost like as if there's a bumper prize, gold medal or 'Tiara crown' for the user with the maximum number of FaceBook Likes.. (Tell me, was there any public announcement to this effect?!!!). From what I've read, The FaceBook Like button was conceptualized and designed to enable a user to give feedback on a status, picture or comment at the click of a button, without really saying anything. If you want to know more, click here and here

But I think its the most "USED" and "ABUSED" feature on FaceBook..

I am left speechless when someone "Likes" any of the following
* A death update : What would you like about someone's death?
* News of a natural tragedy like flood, earthquake : What is there to like about a tragedy?
* Update on the spread of a disease : What is there to like if someone is unwell?
* News of a medical emergency : What is there to like if someone is in an emergency?
* Status on someone going through a bad time (I mean real bad - like unemployment, discovery of a chronic ailment, a divorce, a financial loss, law suit, etc.) yes! people share these things on FaceBook and I've read it : What is there to like if someone is having it hard in life?

I mean..
Can anyone truly "Like" any of the above (Going purely by the English definition of Like)?

Have we become so robotic in our FaceBook actions that we don't pause to think before we act?

Have we become so insensitive to the emotions and tragedies of others that we actually like it?

Don't we know and understand words like "empathy" or "sympathy"?

Sadly, I have more questions than answers..

What's your view? Why do you use the FaceBook "Like" button? Leave a comment to let me know


I am linking this post to the October’s Ultimate Blogging Challenge and NaBloPoMo
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Liked this post and my writings? Sign-up for Blog Updates via Mail. Enter your mail address in the box to the right (Below the "About Me" Section)

You can also hop over to my other blog "Nischala's Space, Thoughts and Expressions" to read about my views on Social Media, Marketing and Leadership.

For an inspirational interview series I did on my blog with global "stars", zoom to Nischala's Blog-o-Rendezvous

I regularly write for other blogs of global repute. For a round-up of my Guest Posts, click here

I've re-discovered my love for poetry (Am still a budding / amateur poet). You can get a taste of my poetry at Nischala's Blog-o-Poetry

18 comments:

  1. I use the like button to engage with people. I then usually leave a comment to continue the engagement. I have found that it validates what other people have to say. When I get to hang out with those people, they often say that they love following what I am doing on facebook.

    I have often left comments on I the fact that I wish there was a thumbs down button so I could connect with peoples pain vs. liking it. They usually agree with me. I never like the tragedies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you on "Thumbs Down".. Many updates on FB are really not worth posting! Thanks for stopping by. Nischala

      Delete
  2. Sometimes I just use the "Like" feature as an "acknowledgement" that I read their post. I would like there to be an acknowledgement feature as well because it's true, like you said, I don't always "like" a post but I do want people to know that I've read it without having to fully comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree, the Like button is the most Used and Abused button on Facebook. I agree with Anonymous above. I Like a post/pic/comment to acknowledge that I have liked it or read it or agree with it.
    Yes, even I have not understood the logic of Liking news of deaths/disease/debacles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm.. but should you acknowledge everything? And do you acknowledge it in real life? Then why in virtual world.. I don't know! Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  4. A lot of the points I feel too. Like is more like marking a presence. Like announcing we saw and we considered it something. The basic meaning is quite lost on this. I wonder how an unlike might change the dynamics :D

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like, I like, I love, I love....this superb honest post. You made such good points and sometimes, I am like what to like if someone died or facing a crisis..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vishal.. Seriously, sometimes FB behavior puzzles and intrigues me to no ends.. I don't know if people don't read or don't think! Whatever.. Some things are really really a BIG BIG ?.. Tx for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. The way I see it, most people use the Like button to acknowledge the fact that they have read the post itself, and maybe FB would be better off having a Read button as well.

    And regarding the concept of a Dislike button, I personally would love to have that on FB, wonder how that would pan out in social media, would be an extremely interesting social experiment, don't you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On Absolutely.. "Dislike" would be a good social experiment.. And may be they should change the name from "Like".. right? Or re-define like :). Tx for stopping by

      Delete
  7. I generally only "like" something I "like". On the group page, I like posts to keep track of the ones I have visited and commented on. I don't truly understand why anyone would like bad news but face book gives really no other option except to comment. Maybe that is why people Like things that are bad...to acknowledge they have seen the news at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy- Thank god you like it only if you like it. Same with me.. Acknowledgement is possibly the answer, but who really cares if you acknowledge? And going by that logic, do these same people really acknowledge everything in their "real lives".. so why here? something to think about, right? Tx for stopping by. Nischala

      Delete
  8. I too "like" only what I really like. I have seen people "like" those 5 things you mentioned. It is silly. I have seen many updates stating this silliness and I have promptly "liked" them. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha Jyothi! Really the patterns and behaviors social media fosters is beyond me!

      Delete
  9. Lol...I so agree...I remember my cousin had put up my picture with a cast on my entire right arm, and that had likes...it had pissed me off beyond measures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :).. As you can see from the comments above, a lot of people say that it is an acknowledgement to the fact that they've been there.. Leaving their digital foot-print.. I guess.. Hope you're OK and the cast is off.. Take care and get well soon.. nischala

      Delete
  10. I get confused when people like posts that are talking about how bad their life is, etc. it doesn't make sense to me, but what do I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Mike. Some user behavior / actions make no sense. But they are what they are. And there's little you and me can do to change them, right? Thanks for stopping by

      Delete