Wednesday, October 23, 2013

What is your Social Media Legacy?

A few days back, I published a post titled “What is your Personal Legacy?”.But after the post was published, I felt something was incomplete in my post. I couldn’t really put a finger on what, but I knew that I had missed something. During one such pensive and quiet moment, I got it!

Looking around me, I realized that a vast majority of us spend significant amount of our daily time online – especially on Social Media platforms [Twitter, Facebook, Blogs, Pinterest, etc]. So would it not be relevant to plan to leave a legacy of your Social Media presence? Or in other words – Your very own Social Media Legacy?

After all, bottom line “Social Media” is really about 3 things…
  1. Knowledge / Collective Knowledge / Wisdom / Collective Wisdom – of an individual / community / world at large
  2. Thoughts / Ideas, which stem from confusion, consciousness, creativity, co-relation, collaboration, comprehension – of an individual / community / world at large
  3. Interactions / Communities / Relationships and Networks – between individuals / communities / world at large
10 or possibly 50 years from now, one’s “Social Media Legacy” will be an integral (even legally perhaps) and important part of one’s personal legacy.

So if you’re wondering what exactly your Social Media Legacy could comprise of. Here are a few examples:
  • A Blog – Which is really a canvas for words. Words which stem from dreams, thoughts, observations, analysis, learning’s, conversations, view-points, outlook, views, emotions, perspectives, achievements, mistakes, failures, lessons learnt, comprehensions, experiences and conclusions. And that sums up the lives of most of us, doesn’t it? Would it not be worthwhile to share such a memoir as a part of your personal legacy?
  • A Twitter profile – Which is really be a collection of thoughts, observations, viewpoints, perspectives, interesting data / facts / figures / news / quotes / articles / compilations / readings. Would it not be worthwhile to share such a collection as a part of your personal legacy?
  • A Pinterest Board – Which is really a compilation of world-class / interesting / favorite pictures or photos on a specific topic(s) of personal interest. Would it not be worthwhile to share such a compilation as a part of your personal legacy?
Whom you leave your Social Media Legacy for is a personal choice. And how much they will value it, only time will tell.

But here’s what’s important – If you are serious about leaving behind a Social Media Legacy, plan for it today; and work objectively on it in the years to come. After all, you are spending so much time on a daily basis on Social Media channels, so is it not worthwhile to channelize your efforts in a structured way?

I hope that, sometime in the future (say 10, 20 or 50 years from now) ~ you would have built a rich Social Media estate ~ one, which will be of value to the next generation!

On that note, Good Luck in creating your Social Media Legacy!

Do you think your Social Media Legacy will be an integral part of your personal legacy sometime in the future? Leave a comment to let me know…


I am linking this post to the October’s Ultimate Blogging Challenge and NaBloPoMo
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Liked this post and my writings? Sign-up for Blog Updates via Mail. Enter your mail address in the box to the right (Below the "About Me" Section)

You can also hop over to my other blog "Nischala's Space, Thoughts and Expressions" to read about my views on Social Media, Marketing and Leadership.

For an inspirational interview series I did on my blog with global "stars", zoom to Nischala's Blog-o-Rendezvous

I regularly write for other blogs of global repute. For a round-up of my Guest Posts, click here

I've re-discovered my love for poetry (Am still a budding / amateur poet). You can get a taste of my poetry at Nischala's Blog-o-Poetry

26 comments:

  1. Am not too big with either Twitter or Pinterst, but yes, I do treat my blog as my Social Media legacy and hope it lives long after I stop updating it (not anytime in the near future I hope)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jairam - Going by your blog activity and online presence, you will leave a *GRAND* legacy :).. And yes! your blog will surely be alive even long after you stop (if ever) updating it! Happy blogging

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking about a social media legacy, although I didn't put a name to it, like you have here. It's helpful to name it, I believe. There are a couple of friends on Facebook who have died, even at a young-ish age... and sometimes I go to their walls and see that friends are still visiting, sharing love, and how much they are missed.

    It's really pretty amazing the potential social media has, for passing down stories and photos... our beliefs and values. I think blogging has the biggest potential, because there is so much more personal sharing and stories there.

    This is really an intriguing thought, Nischala - and thank you for naming it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan for stopping by.. Social media is indeed powerful, and I think many of us are yet to discover its true potential.. time will tell, and till then what will help is to be cognizant of the footprint we leave.. Never know how it can change your life, right? Tx for stopping by and your kind words.. Nischala

      Delete
  3. WOW - interesting post! I often remind my high school and college clients that what they "put out there" on social media is really OUT THERE . . . and to be really thoughtful when posting. Prospective employers can see it all! I hadn't really thought about leaving a legacy on my part . . . thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa.. It will add to your legacy right? Tx for stopping by

      Delete
  4. Very apt post.
    Your web identity will eventually become your social media legacy, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Thanks Vikram for stopping by

      Delete
  5. My blog is growing as I am, sometimes when I read my old posts, I find them a bit childish than the ones I write now, so through my blog I can see bits of my past thoughts and my growing up as a mature(?) person.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all grow with our blogs.. And our writing only gets better with time.. Sometimes you feel happy and proud at how far you've come as a writer.. Tz for stopping by. NIschala

      Delete
  6. Our individual blogs are our own reflection and many moons later we can peep and see if we have changed or not. Nischala , this is something very different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely.. The thing about making it public is that others can also peep for as long as its visible right? Tx for stopping by

      Delete
  7. I have never really thought about my blog living on past me. Boy that is something to think about. Thank you for addressing this topic and bringing it to light, because honestly it is not one I would have thought of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy :).. Your posts will live as long as you wish, right? Glad that this post made you think.. That's part of the reason why many of us write.. To think and express, and also possibly to get readers to think.. Tx again for stopping by. Nischala

      Delete
  8. I liked the concept of social media legacy. I write my blog for my child to read the account, the tidbits from our life, and construct the story of our life, learn and know our experiences, thoughts and views ‘then’ and memories, when he grows up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shilpa - that will be part of your legacy :) happy blogging!

      Delete
  9. What an interesting point of view on the subject. And perhaps on an extended timeline a lot what you are saying looks credible. Perhaps it is time to foresee the worth of our efforts...

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  10. hehe! Nischala! Fodder for thought and to be honest, I lose lotsa time on FB that once, I deactivated the account for almost 2 mths. Well, I am here for networking, interesting debates and meet people on same soul level. I made amazing frenz whom I never met in life and who are awesome beings. I should think about creating a legacy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vishal - I know what you mean. They are time stealers. Before you know hours are gone - I find FB / twitter and blogs equally engaging that I have to consciously dis-engage! Since you're anyways spending so much time.. Might as well find and figure a way to create a legacy right? I mean we are all so invested in Social media (time, energy, thoughts, emotions, relationships.. etc).. And so many people really "bare" it all in the public eye.. Its there for all to see.. Why not carve out and construct the foundations of your legacy.. And that could also mean friendships, learning's, etc etc.. My 2 cents! Tx for stopping by. Nischala

      Delete
  11. Amazing ! You've come up with a great concept. In my opinion a blog can be one of greatest social media legacy we can leave behind. It could also be one of the greatest gifts to our kids and the future generations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana - Thanks for your comment.. I agree with you. It is all about words and messages we share through our blogs... Thanks for stopping by. Nischala

      Delete
  12. An interesting concept Nischala. I hope that someday my grandchildren and their future generations will enjoy my blog and piece together moments of my life,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure they will Suzy. You're a wonderful writer.. I am sure they will be so proud of you.. Look forward to more of your writings. Nischala

      Delete
  13. Interesting Nischala...I havent really thought about it since I was never big on social media till I got on to blog wagon...time to think about it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think about it Sugandha.. You write so much on your blogs :).. Happy blogging

      Delete