Sunday, October 6, 2013

When will it be "Pa"?


She said "Pa". He mistook it to be "Ma".

It was their everyday bath-time ritual. He'd stand outside the bathroom door and ask her "Whom do you love the most?"

She would always say "Ma".. And it would break his heart."When will she say Pa?" He'd wonder. But he'd let it go..

Once she came out of the bath, they'd get caught up in the whirlwind of morning activities. Breakfast, Snack box, Lunch box, Books, Water bottle...etc etc etc... It would all be a mad rush to the school bus stop. He'd wave her off bye and then rush home to get ready to work. Once at work, they'd be no track of time till the clock struck 6 PM. Then no matter what, he'd wind up and come home. The evening would again revolve around her. Home-work, Dinner, Stories, Television, Games, A walk in the park. And then he'd put her to bed with a hug, a kiss and "I love you"

His life revolved around her.. His little daughter.. His little princess...His little angel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He'd married his childhood sweetheart whom he'd loved for as long as he remembered. He'd always wanted a child. She'd always wanted a girl. And finally, his little daughter was born. They were meant to be a picture perfect family complete with Ma, Pa and the baby.

He still remembered the first sight of her. He'd said to his wife "I love you.. But I love her even more"
She smiled and said "She's lucky to be your daughter"

He could not recall where the next 4 years went by. Needless to say, they survived those years as parents.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
His wife started the bed-time ritual when his daughter was 2.5 years. Every night, she'd put baby to bed with a hug, a kiss and "I love you". The sight always made him emotional.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That night after their daughter went to sleep, they watched their favorite TV show. Enjoyed a laugh. Reminisced the past. She hugged him, kissed him and said "I love you and will always love you". He held her tight and went to sleep.

The next morning he woke up and she was still in bed. It was already late. So he shook her and yelled "Get Up". There was no response.
More nudging and shouting. Still no response.
He splashed water. Still no response.
He knew something was wrong.
So he checked her heart and her pulse. He heard nothing
They rushed to Emergency
"Sorry, she's no more" is what the doctor said "It was a cardiac arrest."

He was speechless, shocked and devastated.

He didn't recall where and how the new few months went by. Questions aplenty, but no answers. He managed to brave it all. But there was a deep void in his life. He had to find the will, strength and courage to move on. After all, his daughter needed him

So he picked himself up... And so began a new chapter of their lives..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That night as he tucked her to bed, she hugged him tight and said "Its Pa. and from now on will always be Pa"

They held each other and cried...



This is a work of fiction

 This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda

18 comments:

  1. Oh what a heart wrenching story. Sometimes life is so cruel.
    dropping by from the WoW prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm that made me sad :/

    brilliant piece Nischala!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such writing always make you stop... think... and read parts again.

    Arvind Passey
    www.passey.info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That comment made my day Arvind. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  4. So sad. It reminded me of finding my mom when she died. By the time I found her there was nothing anyone could do. She was gone. You captured the devastation perfectly. It was that way in my family. My mom was everything to me because my dad was always on the road. Then she died and fate forced us together. We became just as close as I had been with my mom. I loved your story. It touched a deep emotional chord with me. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy - Sad to hear that! If my story touched you based on a real life event, that's one of the nicest things anyone can say to a writer. Tx for stopping by and sharing your personal life story. Appreciate it. Take care and God bless. Nischala

      Delete
  5. Wonderful post highlighting true love between a Pa, Ma and the little girl...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tx Jairam. Means a lot coming from a creative writer :)

      Delete
  6. Brilliant Post... Very Emotional & as always nice writing. As a compensation, please write a similar happy ending story. And keep your fiction writing going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janani. I'll keep that in mind. I feel sad myself when I read this story, so I don't read it. Its my initial attempts at fiction, and I seem to enjoy it for the creative liberty it gives you.. lets see where it takes me . Tx for stopping by and your comment. Nischala

      Delete