Monday, December 9, 2013

It’s almost always about the food (or not?)


When I first read the Write Tribe’s prompt on “Food”, I had a zillion ideas buzzing around in my head. The range and diversity of topics itself amazed me – That’s the “special something” about food – you see. It can tickle your body, mind, heart and soul in ways that probably nothing (or no one) can possibly or probably do. Just to give you some of the ideas I considered – Ranged from “Tea drinking is really an experience” to “Sharing a recipe of one of my signature dishes” to “Uploading photos of some self-cooked goodies for a recent home party” to “My favorite Chefs” to “My favorite foods” to “The restaurants I love to eat in” to “Food I love to cook” to “The importance of food at different stages of life” to “How food can make all the difference in your recovery (when you fall sick)” to “Fun Quotes on Food” to “Fun Foodie facts” to “My Dream Meal” to “Evolution of food” to “The Food Pyramid”…….. Well! The list is endless [NOTE: You’re free to write about any of the topics listed above, and I’d love to read about it :)]

But then, I decided against all of the above (And I don’t know why?) and do a post on some of my foodie questions, answers, hypothesis, theories and realizations around the subject. Feel free to agree / disagree, and voice your opinion in the comments below
·          
      Food is such an INTEGRAL part of LIFE: As I look back at my own life, I cannot help but state this with absolute conviction. Food is a part of birth, death and life in between. Food can help you find your soul-mate (I know of people who fell in love due to their love for food), it can . Food can be the one and only connection you have with that special someone (love for pastries, Italian food, a glass of wine, that Punjabi special, or ….?), and food can be your only point of contention which creates many a storm in an otherwise calm and placid relationship. Food can make your world go round, and make your world stand still. Food affects the world policy, economy and growth in a way that nothing else can.

·         Cooking is a creative process: Cooking is a process. And like any process there are inputs, execution steps, tools, techniques, catalysts, deviations, exceptions and outputs. But it is a creative process – one which requires knowledge, creativity, skills, technique and craft. And what’s of paramount importance is to really understand the process of cooking. Because if basics of the culinary process are clear, you can cook anything under the sky. And the other thing about cooking is that the BASICS never really ever change. So get those basics right!

·         Cooking is highly under-rated :A vast majority of us don't acknowledge and appreciate all that goes into cooking even one single meal. Trust me when I say this, it takes a LOT.. Really a LOT for that one plate of food to be served on your table. Value it, Respect it and Express gratitude for all those who worked in front and behind the scenes to make it happen.
  
·         Nothing (and I mean really Nothing) equates to Mom’s cooking : Yes! There will always be something exquisite about Mom’s cooking – something which you can never really replicate or re-create. It’s always in a different league. And like everything else in life, you realize its value only when you don’t have it. I don’t really have the magic equation for why it is so special  - I sometimes think it is the combination of the mother’s emotions and the fact that your accustomed to the taste since childhood which make it extra special

·         There can be only ONE head-chef / head-cook in every kitchen : Such a touchy topic in many a house-hold, especially those which have more than one active / hands-on cook. And here's the thing, one kitchen - one head-chef / head-cook. There can be (m)any number of helpers, assistants, etc. But one man / woman really can run the show at any point of time. If you don't believe me, ask any of your friend who lives with her mother-in-law, a friend in which the couple are both hands-on cooks

·         If women spend 50% of their current brain-power and time on non-cooking related thoughts and work, how would the world be? : Everywhere I look around me, I am amazed, shocked and surprised at the amount of time, effort, energy and brain-power women spend on food / food related talk. Honestly, if by the wave of magic wand,if this time was cut by 50%, just imagine how the world would be? Did you say, heavenly? I'd agree :)

The way to many a man's heart is through his stomach : I never believed it before, but I vouch for it now (Of course there could be a few outliers). So bottom line, if you want your man to do something, make sure you put forth your request, question, point, decision when he is well fed a hearty meal :)

What you eat can change your life - From personal experience, I can say that what you eat influences and impacts several things in life. Your energy levels, your weight, your well-being, your positivity, your creativity, your relationships, your financial well-being, your state of mind, your emotional well-being and your spiritual journey. So, be conscious of what you eat, eat wisely and be cognizant of how it can transform your life
·        
Who gives fodder for your heart, mind and soul?
: When we hear the word “food”, most of us tend to associate it with the food for the body, and rightly so! Without the physical needs taken care of, it is probably hard to worry about other life dimensions. But once your physical needs are taken care of, what really provides fodder for your heart, mind and soul. Do we provide enough fodder on a regular basis? This can be through music, human interactions, pursuit of a hobby, fulfilling relationships, reading, conversations, etc. Just on think - Make sure that you provide the required fodder once in a way. It will do more harm than good in the long run

·         My secret Foodie wish list for 2030 – By 2030, I’ll be 17 years older. At that tender age [ :)], this is my foodie wish list
                (i) That I can eat all I want and not gain weight (Wishful thinking, I know!)
                (ii) That there is a magic pill which can be had instead of food – which includes the right proportion of all essential food groups (carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, proteins, vitamins, etc.)
                (iii) that if I really want to have a specific dish at any time of the day / night, it can be served in front of me at the click of a button
                 (iv) That I get the opportunity to visit the cooking workspace, and have one meal with (& cooked by the following chefs) - Nigella Lawson (I love her!), Heston Blumenthal (He blows my mind away) and Gordon Ramsay (Simply Wow!)

I'll sign off for now. Looking forward to hear your views.. Leave a note in the comments below!

Some of my other TOP-ular foodie posts



I am taking part in The Write Tribe Festival of Words 8th – 14th December 2013

Linking this to the December 2013 NaBloPoMo at BlogHer

28 comments:

  1. liked your wishlist... i wish number (iii) too...world would be a heaven at the click of a button.. wish i could cook that well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heaven indeed.. :) Thanks for reading

      Delete
  2. " Cooking is highly under-rated" - that was something I told my husband last night when he wan't quite thrilled about the dinner menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its true isn't it! Thanks for reading

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful take on the prompt and I love your secret Foodie Wish List

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indian cooking takes a major chunk of the time of a housewife. A lot goes in grinding masalas, chopping veggies, shelling the peas etc and that's why food Goddess ,Mata Annapoorna is so revered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Kalpana.. It is time intensive, and complicated in many cases! Food should be revered, and also the food goddess and better if you say a prayer before every meal.. Many thanks for reading

      Delete
  5. Loved your wishlist. When you get them remember to ping me too. And absolutely true about mom's cooking. Nothing can replace them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will ping you and we can enjoy together

      Delete
  6. Very comprehensive and interesting post.The tip that if you want your man to do something, make sure you put forth your request, question, point, decision when he is well fed a hearty meal is unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Usha! Its purely from my experience :)

      Delete
  7. Whew.. You really thought hard about your post. Food truly is such an important part of our lives and yet either we ignore it totally eating whatever we can find or give it undue importance and eating all the wrong stuff.. How weird is that! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wierd indeed.. Either we love it or are indifferent.. To each his / her own.. But your view on it can change your life.. Thanks for reading

      Delete
  8. I agree with hwat you've said abt the effort that goes into preparing a meal.
    So many people crib instead of saying thank you!

    and yes, I hope your secret Foodie wish list for 2030 comes true!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely take on the prompt Nischala. My take is that even if there were "wholesome" pills, so to speak, I'd still miss the enjoyment that I get when savouring the food. As well as when cooking it. On a separate note, would you hate me if I told you I've had the opportunity to meet both Nigella Lawson and The only and only Ramsay, and an autographed book by Heston Blumenthal :)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Sid! I'm so J.. Just how did you manage that? I love Nigella's style .. she's my goddess.. and Heston's view of food and cooking (it blows my mind away - esp. the music he uses for his specialties) and Ramsay is my all time hero.. What can I say.. Just wish that it will be my turn some day :).. Thanks for reading

      Delete
    2. Back in London, I used to work for Vodafone. And during one of our promotional bits in a shopping centre there, we bumped into her. She's very down to earth. Heston is amazing! The things he does with food. As for Ramsay, if we can look beyond all the "cussing", he's a superstar. He did a charity thing once at the same shopping centre - contest chopping vegetables. His knife skills are exceptional.

      Delete
    3. I know.. Heston is amazing, and the things he does with food!!! - A genius! Nigella's journey and evolution is inspiring, esp. since she started as a home cook.. What passion and experimentation can teach you! And Ramsay - I like the "cussing" as much as his culinary skills - just adds to his charm and appeal.. Now may be I should ask for a London job :)

      Delete
  10. I'm all for no 1 on your list for 2030. However I think we should enjoy our food whatever it is. Eat and be merry I say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree.. Eat and be merry is a great spirit to live life by. Thanks Suzy for reading

      Delete
  11. How do you come up with so many ideas? Any magic potion you take on a daily basis? :-D I was nodding all along. Every single point is so true. I especially like the cooking being under-rated and the only one head-chef part. That is so true. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rekha for reading. I always have more ideas than I can write about.. If you need help in that department (ever!), I'm a click away :)

      Delete
  12. There can be only ONE head-chef / head-cook in every kitchen ... I so agree with this. Husband is a master chef by passion and he loves cooking. His interest in cooking has increased manifold over the years and mine has waned at the same pace!! :D
    Love that wishlist... pls share it with me too, when you get the secret for doing all that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shilpa - You're lucky on that one girl... I will let you know if it does come true.. And lets enjoy the fun ride together!

      Delete
  13. Every single thing is like gospel truth. But honestly imagine if women spent that time on non cooking things? I believe all discoveries and inventions would be fast expressed a hundred years before :D :D

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on that.. Seriously I've seen super intelligent gals spend all their gray matter on this one thing.. Gosh! What a waste.. Thanks for reading Richa

      Delete