Friday, December 13, 2013

Will you let "HER" fly?

Will you let “HER” fly?” They ask me
“Emphasis is on the ‘HER’ “ I sense

Will you let “HER” fly?” They ask me again
Yes, I will let her fly” I say

She was born to fly...
And fly she will

“Are you sure?” They ask me
"Yes, I'm sure" I say
"I'll even give her wings and show her the sky" I say

She was born to fly...
And fly she will

“The skies are meant for HIM” They say
“He was born with wings” You see
“She is meant to stay on the ground”
“Well rooted and grounded” They say
“Also it is safer down” They say
“And you can keep an eye on her” They say

“In the sky, there are many perils” They say
“The strong winds, the rains and other beasts”
“You never know who can harm her and how
So it’s better she stays on the ground
Far away from the many dangers” They say

“Do you think there are no perils on the ground?” I ask
“No.. But at least you are near her” they say
“You can protect her, you can help her” they say

“But will I be there forever?” I ask
“And can anyone protect her always?” I ask
“Sometimes some battles she should fight alone” I say
"Better to make her strong and independent" I say
Hmm… They don’t say anything

After some silence, they again ask
"Who will teach her how to fly?"
“And who will give her wings?” They ask me
“Not many wings are made for her” You see, they emphasize

"I will give her wings and teach her to fly" I say
“And if required, I’ll fly with her to touch the skies” I say
"But you don't know how to fly?" They point out
"I'll learn. It’s never too late" I say

“But why do you want her to fly” They question
Because she was born to fly...
And fly she will

I see it in her eyes
I hear it in her voice
I see it in her hands
I see it in her legs
I sense it from her heart
I see it in her will

She was born to fly
If only the skies were more welcoming
If only the wings were sturdier and stronger
If only the ground supported her flight
If only those around cheered her
If only the winds and the nature propelled her
She would fly - not once, not twice .. But very many times

"What if she does not want to fly" They ask
"Everyone was born to fly" I say
“Both HE and SHE” I say
“But for her, wings are cut early”
“And the sky is well hidden” I say
“And for him, the wings are nurtured”
“And the sky is shown every single day” I say

“Show her the sky in all its glory” I say
Show her the sun
Show her the moon
Show her the stars                                                 
Show her the clouds
Show her the rainbows”
And if she does not want to fly
Then that’s her choice
And its OK.. I will respect it” I say

"And what if she falls?" They ask me
"After every fall, there is a rise” I say
“She'll get up, and I'll be there..
I'll nurse her wounds, wipe her tears, hug her tight
And nurture her till she can fly again" I say

"And what if she's scared to fly again?" They ask
"I'll swish her fears with my magic wand" I say

"And what if she does not come back?" They ask
"She will, if I call her" I say
"But I'll let her decide her journey, and
when she wants to come back" I add

"Are you sure?" They ask
"Yes, I've never be more surer of anything in my life" I say

She was born to fly...
And fly she will

She was born to fly
And fly she will

To the farthest lands
To the world of dreams
To the moon and stars
To the rainbows
And then back to my arms...

She was born to fly
She was born to fly
She was born to fly
So please let her fly

There is glory in the flight
There is learning in the flight
There is victory in the flight
There is freedom in the flight

She was born to fly
She was born to fly
She was born to fly

Originally published on WomensWeb

Linking this to the December 2013 NaBloPoMo at BlogHer

I am taking part in The Write Tribe Festival of Words 8th – 14th December 2013 .   Today's prompt is PEOPLE

64 comments:

  1. Beautiful piece of writing, Nischala! More power to Her!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shilpa.. More power to all girls / women. Thanks for reading

      Delete
  2. You have painted a masterpiece!

    She wants to fly
    she will fly
    and see she is in the sky.

    She is in the sky
    wings flapping
    conquering the clouds
    with her feet on the ground
    firmly rooted.

    Do not be jealous
    of her wings
    Oh menfolk!
    come and see
    flying high
    she makes a clean landing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kalpana. Your comment made my day :).. And your words are beautiful extensions.. Thanks for sharing on my blog!

      Delete
  3. This is brilliant Nischala.Don't we love our daughters! I do cherish mine.She is both "HIM" and "Her" for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunita - Daughters are blessings indeed. And so wonderful to hear that she is HIM and HER. Let her aim for the skies and fly.. That would be wonderful! Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post, really beautiful post. Loved how you addressed each and every naysayer in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not much of a poetry lover, but I loved this!! Very well written :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw.thanks for reading and your kind words

      Delete
  6. the poetry is fabulous.... i have tagged you in this post, a part of Blogadda, hope you would acknowledge it... http://pratikshya-magicmoments.blogspot.in/2013/12/daddy-dear.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this !! You have weaved the words so beautifully.
    More power to Her !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More power to her.. Thanks for reading

      Delete
  8. Ahhhh.... such a beautiful piece of writing. I wish to see all the girls of our country enlightened and strong enough to face the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wish too.. Alas! Not sure when the wish will come true.. Fingers crossed, and each can do his / her bit / best

      Delete
  9. Wow! That was a powerful piece. Very well-penned! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rekha! More power to you and me :)

      Delete
  10. Amazing lines Nischala. Enjoyed reading each line thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nischala this is unique. I have no words to describe its impact on the mind. I salute you for penning such beautiful lines.All men must read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ushaji.. Coming from you, I am humbled. Thanks for reading

      Delete
  12. Good take on the prompt! too many "If only's" in our life today... :|
    Btw is this the same blog as the one I just commented on??? (Social Media?) or are they two different blogs, sorry If i sound ignorant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. May every "she" have the courage of her convictions and fin the will to fly, for she was born to fly indeed

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful Nischala...read this one before!! So powerful ...she will fly...all the earth's daughters will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too Aditi,, Thanks *again* for reading

      Delete
  15. wonderful , really enjoyed reading this :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is an awesome piece of writing. One of the best I've read so far.Good job Nischala.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Suzy. Your words mean a lot.. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  17. M'lady, this one touched my heart. Thank you! To much talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Leigh - That indeed is a great achievement for any writer.. To touch someone else's heart. I am honored.. Thanks for reading

      Delete
  18. simply wonderful... i see so many worries of whether such a day will ever come.. I guess we just need to keep incorporating these ideas in our generation and the generation to come. Only then, can we dilute the stone age mindset significantly enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Roshan.. It just is not a safe place for HER.. I do hope things get better with time.. Fingers crossed. And we can do our bit and best every day! Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  19. That was truly beautiful. When it's a girl there are so many questions, so many doubts, so may fears. Love the surety and the positivity of the poem. No matter what.. She has to fly. Beautifully done Nischala.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.. yes! She should aim for the stars and skies, & fly! Thanks for reading

      Delete
  20. This is sooo touching!!!

    Something I can relate to very closely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess most girls / women can relate to it.. The journey of pretty much a lot of us

      Delete
  21. Lovely...brought so many emotions...
    am just speechles....
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Sumi.. I am speechless too with the comments and reactions..

      Delete
  22. I love anything that focuses on HER! :-) Let her fly, let her soar!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That was lovely! Yes, she was meant to fly!

    ReplyDelete
  24. beautiful words, Nischala :)

    loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  25. We need more of such posts to come up. The world is full of negativity for her. And perhaps she needs to reinvent herself and fly more, bring more of hers to join as well..

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Richa.. Good luck for your flight :)

      Delete
  26. Inspiring! Every one should should be able to soar through life. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Brilliant, thought provoking..words fail me to describe this amazing piece on freedom and society's quest to clip their wings. I am awestruck, Nischala. Spellbound and ur intelligent words leave me speechless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Vishal. Thanks for reading.. Your comment made my day! And what I wrote is a reflection of the reality!

      Delete
  28. Hell yeah!!! She was born to fly and she will fly and I will teach her how to by soaring the skies myself and becoming the wind beneath her wings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swapna - Yaay to that! And I feel if you have a daughter, you'd understand the emotion a lot more.. nah? May she touch the skies.. Thanks for reading and Lots of love to her!

      Delete
  29. Beautiful lines! :o) Saddens me to think, after all the education and westernization , we still "think" if " a girl can or should fly" and that a boy is "born" to fly. Our kids are born to fly and we as there parents are born to teach/ encourage/ direct them in the right way - we need to get out of this "mindset"! Just the other day, one of our relatives asked my mom, "what if the next baby is going to a girl(?) (I am pregnant); she was aghast (I was totally sad) and told her we are praying that it be a girl, why would you "think" like that? Why do we forget that we are girls, and we are the "glue" which keeps our family in 1 piece (lol!) and we still find time to ask about our parents and his parents too ( and I personally know a lot of amazing girls who work and do all this as well). Keep writing, Nishchala - you are gifted :) I am flying because my parents never thought they needed to "think" before teaching me to fly; and I want my son and (hopefully) daughter to have those wings and want them to soar high!
    -veens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and your kind words! I'm with you that all are meant to FLY, and I hope for you that its a girl too.. And I hope your kids fly and you nurture their wings despite / in spite of what anyone says!

      Delete
  30. Nischala, I loved the words. I loved the meaning and I hope that I can do all that for my Aruja too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish so too.. And hope Aruja can fly.. Thanks for reading

      Delete