Tuesday, August 4, 2015

All the things you miss about pregnancy – once it is behind you!

A few days ago, I was at a mall when I happened to observe several pregnant women. I have this hypothesis that these happen in cycles. Like there are times when I see so many expectant mothers, and times when I don’t seem to know any one on the journey to motherhood. As a mother today, that phase of life is behind me. However, I thought why not go back on memory lane and list down what any woman misses about pregnancy when it is behind her.
  • That one thought which all women go through “Am I ready to be a mother” or “Will I be a good mother!” – Almost every pregnant woman goes through phases, feelings and thoughts of self-doubt. Well, let me tell you once you are a mother, you just are a mother. There is no time to think, prepare or judge. You just got to do the job – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year! Sigh! So, well you are a mother. Period.
  • Eat what you want, when you want and how you want without a care in the world. You can do it at any time in life – but let me tell you it feels 200% right when you do it during pregnancy!
  • People checking on you randomly – friends, family, neighbors, etc. – to ask if you are feeling OK! After that, all calls / messages are usually for the kids!
  • Random stories, unsolicited advice and feedback – The number of pregnancy stories, tales, myths is countless. But now, I miss them as they would always make you really wonder if there was any truth in them at all
  • A view of the aspiring-astrologers (future / fortune tellers) in your network – Every one wants to predict if it is a boy or a girl. Come on! There’s a 50% chance that you are right. Then, those whose predictions came true will claim credit for the rest of your life Ya! Like they played a part in the pregnancy!
  • Natural glow on your skin – There is something about what pregnancy does to you as a woman that brings out a beautiful natural glow – I don’t know if it is the hormones, happiness or something else. But it shows!
  • Sharing notes with pregnant mothers – Again, what you can share / talk and express is best left for behind closed doors! But I think women open up and lose a lot of inhibitions at this phase of life
  • Never ending photography sessions – when people fuss on you to take your pictures
  • Getting assistance even when you may not need it. Who does not like a little extra help and attention. Anyways with chivalry / sympathy / empathy in the list of dying virtues – So this does feel good
  • Saying what you want to say – and getting away with it – without an explanation or care in the world. Hormones speak more than they should – Many times!
  • Doing what you want to do – and getting away with it – without an explanation or care in the world. Again, Hormones (mis)behave more than they should – Many times!
  • Getting your spouse to fulfill any (and every) whim and fancy – After that, you have to wait till your kids start talking and route in the requests to Papa / Daddy 
  • Tell yourself “It’s OK! I’m doing this for my child” when actually the only reason you are doing it is to satiate yourself
  • Indulging in ‘retail therapy’ – with the pretext that you’ll never really be the same again! From experience, I can say that neither you nor life will ever be the same again!
  • Baby shopping – The joy in buying the first baby clothes or baby stuff. I still remember the very first attire I bought for my baby, and I know I will keep it with me for a long long time!
  • Doctor Visits / Scans – As much as many of us don’t like visits to the hospitals, this is one time when you look forward to meeting your doctor so she says “All is well“; not to mention – the rendezvous with your baby through the scans!
  • Genuine attempts to make positive changes in life / lifestyle – Again, almost all mothers I know promised / swore to make positive changes in their life / lifestyle for their kids and future. I don’t think anyone kept it beyond pregnancy.. But whatever! It is the hope and intent which counts
  • Playing a part in co(-creating) life – There is some unexplainable magic! While you may understand the physics, chemistry and biology in creating human life – The divine element of creation is beyond human comprehension
As I sign-off, I can say this – It is possibly one of the most memorable phases of life.. The ending of one chapter.. And beginning of a new one.. With the birth of your child, you are a new YOU!

What do you miss the most from those bygone pregnancy days? Leave a comment to let me know

A version of this post was first published on WomensWeb


No comments:

Post a Comment